Ingredients: 1/4 cup black coffee (room temperature) 1 cup chocolate ice cream 1/4 cup milk 1 teaspoon almond extract 2 Tablespoons chocolate syrup 1 cup crushed ice Cinnamon, for dusting Directions 1. Brew coffee and allow to sit out while prepping other ingredients 2. … [Read More...] about Chocolate Almond Frappe
We all can admit that we pay for the experience that comes with a cup of coffee when we frequent Starbuck’s or Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. But you have to admit that the $5.00 experience, even shared three times a week, is a costly expenditure.
But just because you choose to break up the relationship between you and the coffee joint, doesn’t mean you need stop drinking excellent tasting coffee. The baristas don’t make coffee any differently then you do!
So, today we will be exploring how to brew a perfect cup of black Java, with a French Press coffee press, in the comfort of your own home for pennies on the dollar.
- Buy newly roasted, whole beans. The length of time coffee beans are roasted will affect the color and flavor of the brew. Popular blends of beans to buy:American Roast (or regular roast) beans will result in a moderate brew-not too light or too heavy in flavor.French Roast beans will produce a stronger coffee taste.Viennese Roastis a blend of two-thirds regular-roast with one-third heavy-roasted beans.Italian Roast is for espresso.
- Use water that tastes good – The right coffee beans + great tasting water is what makes a killer combination of brewed coffee. Use your favorite filtered water. Pre-boil your water before grinding your coffee beans to insure water will be at the proper temperature when you are ready to use your french press coffee maker.
- Time to Grind – One of those regular at home small grinders will work just fine. No need to spend lots of money for a grinder!Put the beans in the grinder and grind for 10 seconds to create a course grind. Grind only what you are going to use for the day.
- The French Press – Put 1 rounded tablespoon of coffee into your French Press coffee maker. Then, pour your hot water into the pot. Leave a minimum of 1 inch of space at the top. Stir the brew with a plastic spoon. Place the plunger unit on top of the pot. Do not press down. Let the coffee brew for 2-4 minutes, depending on your preference in taste. Hold the pot handle firmly with the spout turned away from you, then using just the weight of your hand, apply slight pressure on top of the knob to lower the plunger straight down into the pot. Lowering the plunger slowly with minimal pressure produces best results. Finally, pour your amazing cup of coffee into your mug.Here is a great tutorial for using the french press coffee press.
- Wan’t to jazz it up? – Great additions: creamer, sugar, flavored syrups (like Taroni syrup – Yum!)For iced coffee: make your brew stronger, because the ice cubes will dilute the coffee.