We all can admit that we pay for the experience that comes with a cup of coffee when we frequent Starbuck’s or Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. But you have to admit that the $5.00 experience, even shared three times a week, is a costly expenditure. But just because you choose to break up the … [Read More...] about The Perfect Brew … at Home!
This is a perfect spring and summer dessert. It should be served chilled and has a wonderfully bold and sweet coffee taste, without being heavy or overly rich. You can dress it up or serve it plain; either way your guests will be very pleased.
Ingredients for crust:
- 1 cup chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- Â¼ cup almonds, lightly toasted, cooled and ground fine
- Â½ stick of butter, (Â¼ cup) melted
- Â¼ cup sugar
Ingredients for Filling:
- 7 Â½ shots of espresso (1Â¼ cup)
- 1 envelope of unflavored gelatin
- 4 large eggs, separated
- Â¾ cup sugar
- Â¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Â½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Ingredients for Topping (optional):
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon Kalua coffee liquor
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- espresso machine
- candy thermometer (or a thermometer used for steaming milk with the espresso machine)
- springform pan
- electric mixer
- food processor
- 4 bowls (various sizes)
Make the crust:
Heat the oven to 350Â°F and lightly toast the almond slivers until they are a golden brown, then set them aside to cool for a few minutes. Use the food processor to grind the graham crackers, then the almonds. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, almonds, melted butter and Â¼ cup sugar in a medium-sized bowl. Mix thoroughly.
Pour the graham cracker crust into the bottom of the springform pan, and press firmly. Bake at 350Â°F for 10-12 minutes. When the crust has finished baking, remove the pan from the oven and set it aside to cool on a rack.