Hearkening back to the days of Root beer floats, warm summer nights and the cooling draught slinking down your throat? But damn it all you still need something to give you a shot in the arm? Then I have just the beverage for you. A coffee float. Amounts and mileage may vary, so play with the amounts … [Read More...] about The Coffee Float
2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup white sugar
2/3 cup butter unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 cup plain yogurt
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons apple butter
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon ginger
1. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl.
2. Beat in the butter and half of the yogurt and continue to beat for a few minutes.
3. Mix the eggs, vanilla, lemon juice, apple butter and the rest of the yogurt in another large bowl.
4. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients in 3 batches beating in between additions.
5. Pour half of he batter into another bowl.
6. Mix the cocoa powder into one of the bowls.
7. Pour the chocolate batter back into the rest of the batter and fold 2 times.
8. Pour the batter into a greased and floured baking pan (a bunt pan or an 8×8 inch baking pan).
9. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until a tooth pick poked into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes.
10. Bring the maple syrup, corn syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger to a boil in a small sauce pan.
11. Let the coffee cake cool and drizzle with the glaze.